Saturday, July 12, 2008

The hills are alive...

Dear Travel Diary, I have now left Prage. I will be heading to Salzburg via a series of confusing trains. The first one was so packed that I stood in the aisle for 3 hours. Literally every man and his dog were on there. Plus bikes and lots of camping gear. It was nice bz the window with the wind blowing in my face and lots of hills rolling bz... after a while I sat on my bag and fell asleep. The train kept coming to deafening screeching stops and everyone would stick their heads out the windows. My train was late and I missed the transfer so I now have to catch 3 more trains to get to Salzburg... providing that I dont miss THEIR links... hehe
Yesterdaz I got up early and did a day trip out to Kutna Hora on the train. It was a hot sunny day which was very uplifting after the past few cold dribbly ones in Prague. The train passed a few fields of sun flowers and on the way back a man mowing the lawn in only jocks, boots and gloves. ( I get the impression that a lot of Europeans strip off in the summer heat)
I had a really nice time in Kutna Hora. Again walking passed red and purple wild flowers. I had a new spring in my step. The area near the train station was very quiet and like suburbs... I went to the Kostnice Seldec Ossuary! Which was the one thing I really wanted to do in Czech... It held up to my expectations after a big crowd of tourists left and it was very quiet. The whole interior of the church is decorated with human bones! After about 40000 were buried their as a result of the Plague. There were skulls and cross bones hanging from the ceilings in arches (like you might thread popcorn on a string and hang it up for Christmas). There were towers of skulls with angels on top, bone shields and a great chandelier made of bones... The frame holding it up were all jaw bones and then lots of arm and leg bones cascading down. The skulls were the centerpieces for candles (on top of their heads) and the skulls sat on like a fanning plate of hip bones. I was very fascinated with all of the bones. I didn't feel such a sombre atmosphere - but it was very beautiful.
I walked up to the main town with lots of Gothic architecture and a beautiful view of the town, forest and fields. I got really lost on the way back and it was so hot and I was in the sun constantly. I ate a stick of cooking marzipan on the train ride home.

For my last night I went out with Martins and I brought an Australian girl with us too. She was little and blond and traveling alone like me. We all caught a tram out to a really nice row of beer gardens along the river... during the day there were swimming fountains and volley ball nets. There were lots of lights along the river and a backdrop of the hills with some big houses and castley style buildings. We drank beer at a cool sandy outdoor pub with hammocks and wooden chairs etc... it probably felt more like Bali than Prague though hehe... We ran around in the rain and tried a few pubs it was fun. On the way home to our hostel Me and the other Aus got lost on the tram and were a bit scared... we ended up in a random suburb... but worked out how to get back! :) hehe

Anyway... I AM IN Salzburg now... after catching 4 trains... near the Austrian border there were lots of campers getting off the train... I think that there are some white water rafting rapids... there were lots of guys with paddles and big plastic barrels with their clothes and stuff in it (which I suppose is to keep their stuff dry). There would be some other reallz nice places in the Czech country side to visit too I think. Austria had an immediate distinct appearance. The buildings look very typically german... you know with the wood and flower boxes etc... hehe
Passed lots of sunflower fields and mountains with woods and grassy hills...
More about salzburg tomorrow!

No comments: