Saturday, July 5, 2008

Finland last days

So I need to write and catch up some blogs!!!!
Finland was really nice, a quiet town... except for the seaguls...
But I enjoyed walking around the markets and the slick design shops and crazy old antique shops. However, finland is soooo expensive so I couldnt afford to do much.
I bought food from the markets and tried to copy the local food...
Potatoes and salmon and dill... (looked very fancy once I cooked it... the backpackers were impressed) Also lots of fresh raspberries... they are such a novelty for me... like in the opening of Amelie... I put them on all my fingers and then eat them hehe...
And the most delicious sweetest juice ever! raspberry and mixed berry juices... omg... like drinking cordial hehe
On the last day I went to the island soumoleina... with some english backpackers... one of them does Hash... look it up on the net... its like a communal running group all over the world and they have meetings everywhere... and basically you run and drink beer and have code names and its almost like a special running game... with short cuts and cheating and fast runners and yeh... I think look it up should be interesting... they even have songs... which are rather like college songs with rude words etc... lol Anyway the island was really pretty and has all of these fortresses built on it for protection etc... it had a very cold looking swimming beach and lots of tunnels to climb around in which was fun. The view was beautiful and lots of grass and foresty trees and yellow flowers. It was nice seeing little surrounding islands with like one little shed of a house on it and like one pine tree lol... apparently the sea in helsinki harbour freezes over in winter and they need big icebreaker ships every day.
That afternoon back from the island I walked for half an hour in the rain... and I thought it was a seedy area too... some hobos and guys trying to talk to me (whom I ignored) and yeh I was freezing and wet and lost... but once I found it - the wooden Sauna was very nice!! (pronounced sOWna)
1. I got my 4 hours of nudity fix. 2. it really warmed and cheered me up and was so relaxing.
I talked to a finnish lady but it was quiet because of summer and during the week... it was fun having cold showers and then sitting in the sauna on the wooden slats... or having a drink and readning a magazine in the cool air and back to the sauna again! I caught the tram home !
Oh also I cant remember if it was the same day... but I went to a beautiful church built into the rocks... like carved in... and you go in and it has beautiful rock walls and water was trickling down from the rain and an amazing wooden spiraling dome roof... and glass looking into the elements...
to me it actually felt like a spiritual place because it was built into nature... it was so relaxing sitting there listening to some gorgeous piano music and listening to the water trickle down the rock walls... :)
Anyway I enjoyed finland... !!!
I need to find a computer that lets me plug in my camera desperately.

No comments: