Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Prague-ing around

I am still wondering around Prague. Maybe enjoying the comfortable hostel too much. It has been around 5 days... and people that stay for 3 say that there is not much more to see, but I think there is much more to be uncovered and that I am only just scraping the surface. Each time I walk through the city I find new things... there are lots of book stores and cafes and tourist shops, but I think on 3rd glance there are 2nd hand book stores and interesting pubs with galleries in them and art student fashions stores and antique stores... with lots of interesting bags and necklaces and old boxes and cups... you could do a lot of op shopping here. There are lots of theaters and art galleries to be found too... Also there are police or ambulance sirens almost on the hour! lol I dont know if people are being murdered or somethign!! but I hear sirens allll the time! I really like the ornamentation on all of the buildings. Like men holding up window sills and women laying across doorways or a big lion or owl looking down over a door way and lots of gold painting too... like some gold flowers or a gold fence or a gold star up the top of the building...
I dont really even think I have covered all of the sections of the city yet. I really like the islands in the middle of the river... they seem like such a nice place to escape the tourists and the city... I visit them a fair bit to eat some lunch or sit down and relax with the river view.
I have been doing alot of drawing. The other day I sat and drew a homeless man sleeping on a bench infront of a really beautiful art nouveau building. Then some police came and were poking and hitting him because he wasnt allowed to sleep there... so I drew them too! I also bought a heap of berries at the market (blueberries, raspberries and black berries) and ate them in the park after I went to visit the DANCING house... which is a very twisted up looking building.
I had spent my budget for the day (mainly on vegetables) so I sat outside a wine bar on a bench with a muesli bar and listened to some free jazz (a sax and guitar).
I have been making lots healthy food whilst away: vegetable stew, vegetable and sausage stew, and zucchini and tomato pastas...
Today I walked across the main bridge and up a big big flight of stairs to the prague castle! There was a really beautiful view of prague... and a fantastic violinist... I even gave him some money. I ate a bagel in the park... and it was successfully dairy free... after much discussion about mlairchnair virobky (milk products... i spelt it how it sounds). Tonight I went into the jazz club redutta. I saw a band playing alot of jazz standards but it was pretty enjoyable and they were good musicians. Their guitarist and bass player especially... and they even had a guest trumpeter (just for me). Then... I walked home on my own... with my hoody on... without being robbed or attacked! Im very happy about this. I avoided walking near the park and also quiet streets! I felt safe though... lots of people walking around still.
Anyway... just drifting around prague, through the town... there is a lot to take in! so tired... its nearly 2 am... the cobble stones make my feet and legs sore!!! long dayy...

No comments: